Monday, July 5, 2010

Pink Cloud

1 c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. softened butter
1/2 c. chopped nuts (I like pecans)

Combine well (I mixed it with my hands) and pat into a 9x13 baking pan.  Bake at 350 for 20 min. Stir after 10 minutes.  When cool, take a hand full and set aside to sprinkle on top later.

2 egg whites
1 pint Cool Whip or 1 pint real whipped cream
1 10-oz. pkg. strawberries, chopped
2/3 c. sugar
2 T. lemon juice

Beat egg whites till stiff, add strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice; beat. Fold in Cool Whip.

Make sure the baking dish and crust is cool before pouring in the strawberry mixture.  Freeze.

I also tried it with blueberries (one pint).  I had to mash them down a lot (an electric mixer just threw them around the bowl) and I added the same amount of sugar as with the strawberries, but I think it was too much.  However, I didn't add as much lemon juice, and I think it would have been better if I'd added the whole amount of lemon juice.  It was still good, just too sweet for me!  If anyone else tries it feel free to edit this.  Also, it didn't really come out blue, it was a little brownish after it was all mixed together.

2 comments:

ChrisS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChrisS said...

If making with whipping cream, sweeten the whipping cream with 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. This still isn't terribly sweet. I used frozen sliced strawberries, and still needed to chop them a bit. I would also suggest making a little more of the crunchy topping. People are going to eat it, and then there isn't enough. Also, chop the pecans rather small.