Sunday, November 4, 2012

Chris's Green Smoothie

Per Brie's recommendation, here are my smoothie ingredients.  I also do not measure, but I will give you approximate amounts.  I use a Vitamix blender.  I kind of wish I'd bought a Blendtec.

My smoothies recipes make 1 liter of green smoothie which I drink for one meal.

1.  I FILL my blender with Kale and chard OR Kale and spinach OR all three, BUT about 3/4 of the green is Kale.

2.  I pour in probably about a 3/4 - 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk that I buy at Trader Joe's in a half gallon box for $1.99.

3.  For a 1 litre smoothie, I make sure there is at least 3 cups of just this green mixture of greens and coconut milk.  Usually I have to add more green stuff after my initial blending to get it up to 3 cups.

4.  Next I add frozen fruit...about 1 cup (overflowing) or 1 large, peeled orange.  I also usually add some ice cubes and sometimes some water .  I usually end up with slightly more than 1 liter.  Here are my 3 different fruit combinations so far:

  • Costco frozen organic combo of mango, pineapple, peaches
  • 1 whole large orange (with the vanilla this taste a little like an orange julius)(thanks, Josh, for this recipe.)
  • Costco frozen berry mix...blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
5.    I also add some vanilla.  I add a lot.  I've never measured, but I'd guess at least 2 tsp. 

6.  1 packet of Truvia which is a stevia based sweetener with erythritol.

7.  I have, on occasion, added some freshly ground flaxseed or some salba, but both thicken it, so you have to drink it all immediately, or it becomes a little too think and icky.  I don't usually add either anymore.

That's it.  They are VERY good.  It's important that you add enough liquid, because when it is too thick, it doesn't taste as good.  You will be shocked at how much green stuff you can get in one serving.  Good stuff.  

xoxo




No comments: