Thursday, December 29, 2011

Zucchini Casserole - GMA's Recipe

I know I've never made this, but I grew up with it and thought you should all have the recipe. I didn't like zucchini as a kid, but I still liked this casserole.

1 lb mild Italian sausage (bulk)
3/4 lb ground pork
1 large onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic
3-4 stalks celery, diced
1 green pepper, chopped
1-2 tomatoes, fresh
5 zucchini
Dash of Italian seasoning (or thyme, oregano, rosemary)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans tomato sauce and 1/2 can water
Grated cheddar or cheddar/jack mixture

350 degree oven
Brown sausage and ground pork, and remove all grease
Add rest of ingredients except the cheese and simmer 5-10 minutes. Put half mixture in 4 qt casserole dish. Sprinkle a layer of cheese. Add rest of veggies mixture. Top with rest of cheese and parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes covered, then another 15 minutes uncovered.

Serves 6-8

No comments: